Last updated: October 12, 2022
COLLECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
Mai collects information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information directly from you when you:
- Register for an account or create a profile with Mai;
- Sign up to receive Mai’s email newsletters or coupons to Mai;
- Register for an appointment or register for any of our events;
- Apply for a job with Mai;
- Purchase any product or service from Mai;
- Submit a product review, provide product feedback or make other submissions to Mai;
- Request information or assistance from Mai, whether by email or other form of communication;
- Participate or respond to consumer surveys or requests for consumer’s opinions, concerns, and preferences regarding Mai’s products and services;
- Communicate with Mai via a third-party platform;
- Participate in promotions; and
- Use other features of the Services that may be offered from time to time and may require such information in order to utilize the feature.
The personal information that Mai may collect directly from you may include your name, username, password, email address, birth month and day, gender, address, telephone number, personal preferences, and any other information that you choose to provide. If you apply for a job with Mai, we will collect information including your resume, work and education history, and residency status. In some cases, we may also collect personal information of another individual that you provide to Mai, such as in connection with gift card purchases. When you make a purchase on our site, your credit card information is processed through our third party service provider, Shopify. We do not store this information. See the “Sharing of Information” section below for information about Shopify’s privacy practices.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Interact with Us
MaiI may also collect information automatically about your use of the Services.
- Activity Information: We collect information about your activity on the Services, such as the frequency of user visits, the routes by which users access the Services, activity within the Services, and use of any hyperlinks available on the Services.
- Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: Like many websites, Mai utilizes “cookies” and similar technologies to maintain a record of your use of the Services. A cookie is a small text file that is transferred by a web server and stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device. It can only be read by the server that sent it to you. Cookies help Mai to improve the Services, and to deliver more personalized experiences by enabling MAI to estimate audience size and usage patterns; to store information about your preferences; to speed up your searches and to recognize you when you return to the Services. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies. If you would prefer to prevent your computer from accepting cookies, you may follow your Internet browser’s steps for doing so. Please note, however, that if you disable cookies from your browser, you may not be able to access certain sections of the Services.
- IP Addresses and Device Information: An IP address is a device's numeric address, by which it can be located within a network. Mai may record your IP address when you visit or use the Services. We may also collect other information about how you access the Services, including data about the device and network you use, such as the hardware model, operating system version, browser type, and other unique device identifiers.
ANALYTICS AND ADVERTISING SERVICES PROVIDED BY OTHERS
USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Upon Mai’s collection of your information, Mai may use such information for the following purposes to:
- Develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide our products and services;
- Analyze trends and statistics on our Services, develop features and offerings, assess patterns of use, and plan and evaluate marketing initiatives;
- Establish and conduct commercial relationships, including to process purchases or other transactions at the Stores and through the Services;
- Personalize the advertisements you see on third-party platforms and websites (for more information, see the Advertising and Analytics section above);
- Conduct and administer contests or other promotions in which you have participated;
- Contact you and to respond to any communications that you may have had with us;
- Troubleshoot problems with the Services;
- Customize and personalize your experience with Mai;
- Develop and manage Mai’s business and operations;
- Detect and protect Mai and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with Mai’s policies and contractual obligations;
- To comply with, any financial, legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may process, store, and transfer your personal information in jurisdictions with different privacy laws that may or may not be as comprehensive as Canadian law. We will take steps to ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
- Mai may disclose your personal information to our current and future subsidiaries or affiliates;
- We share information with vendors, service providers and consultant that need access to personal information to provide services on Mai’s behalf, including, but not limited to, support services, website services, delivering promotional materials, contests, sweepstakes and other promotions, and answering customer questions about MAI’s products and services. For example, we use Shopify to power our online store. We encourage you to read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
- Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
- If you submit a product review or post content in another public area of the Services, this information may be visible to other visitors to the Services.
- We may disclose personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may share personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of Mai our users, the public, or others.
- We share personal information with our lawyers and other professional advisors where necessary to obtain advice or otherwise protect and manage our business interests.
- We may share personal information in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company.
- We share personal information with your consent or at your direction.
YOUR CHOICES REGARDING PROMOTIONAL COMMUNICATIONS
You may opt out of receiving promotional email communications from Mai, by means of a link provided in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
You may withdraw your consent at any time to the collection, use, disclosure or transfer of your personal information time by contacting Mai at the address provided below. If you withdraw your consent (or if you decide not to provide certain personal information), you acknowledge that Mai may not be able to provide you, or continue to provide you, with certain products, services or information which may be of value to you.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Mai will take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Upon your written request, and subject to certain exceptions provided by law, Mai will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and give you access to that information. Mai may charge a minimal fee for providing such access to you. If you believe that the personal information that Mai holds about you is not accurate or complete, you may write to the Privacy Officer at the address provided below, or make any changes to your own account information by logging in to your account. If you are able to establish that the information is not accurate or complete, Mai will take reasonable steps to delete and/or correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date. In order to facilitate a request to correct or update information, Mai may ask you to provide additional information to confirm your identity. Any such information will only be used for the purpose of confirming your identity and will not be retained by Mai.
The security of your personal information is very important to us. We use physical, electronic, and administrative measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain Services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information over the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to us over the Internet. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk.
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, we will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Under some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you. We reserve the right to use such anonymous and de-identified data for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to you or your consent.